Healthcare science assistant (level 2)
Carrying out routine technical and scientific procedures and support within hospitals, doctor surgeries and other healthcare settings for a wide range of people.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 14 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Act in line with legislation, standard operating procedures, codes of conduct and ways of working that apply to own role.
- Work within the scope of the role, the limits of own knowledge and skills.
- Act in line with probity requirements.
- Promote own mental health, wellbeing and resilience.
- Provide general information, advice and guidance about the scope and range of services relevant to role.
- Provide technical evidence-based advice, information and guidance relevant to role.
- Adhere to stock and equipment control policies.
- Support the provision of person-centred care that is delivered by the wider healthcare team.
- Support any care provided including adhering to the relevant requirements.
- Follow policy and protocols that relate to informed consent.
- Protect the dignity, rights and privacy of individuals.
- Assist the wider healthcare team to enable individuals to make choices about their care.
- Communicate basic information effectively verbally and in writing.
- Use techniques to facilitate understanding and reduce communication barriers.
- Keep accurate, confidential records including in a digital format.
- Produce reliable data by logging, inputting, retrieving and storing information within required governance processes.
- Follow protocols for handling, escalating or reporting difficult situations and complaints.
- Work as part of the healthcare science team and the multi-professional team to provide healthcare science services.
- Follow delegation, reporting and escalation protocols appropriate to own role.
- Act as a role model to others and show leadership skills relevant to own role.
- Contribute towards creating the conditions that assist the team in providing a supportive environment for colleagues.
- Work safely in the workplace following safety guidelines.
- Contribute to the risk management process in own workplace adhering to risk management guidelines.
- Take appropriate action in response to incidents or emergencies.
- Move and transport items safely for example individuals or equipment and items.
- Apply a range of techniques for infection prevention and control.
- Follow guidelines and procedures for handling hazardous materials and substances.
- Follow procedures and improvement protocols to meet the requirements of quality standards relevant to own healthcare science practice.
- Contribute to the audit process relevant to own role.
- Offer suggestions for improving services, emerging practices and sustainability.
- Work in accordance with the regulatory frameworks for ethics, innovation or research relevant to own role.
- Assist service improvement, innovation or research within the boundaries of own clinical and scientific practice.
- Reflect on own practice and keep own knowledge and skills up-to-date.
- Take part in appraisal or performance review and ongoing continuing professional development.
- Reply constructively to the outcome of feedback, performance review or appraisal.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.