Commis chef (level 2)
Preparing food and carrying out basic cooking tasks in every section of a kitchen under the supervision of a senior chef.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Catering and hospitality
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Contribute to reviewing and refreshing menus in line with business and customer requirements
- Use technology for the development and production of dishes and menu items in line with business procedures and guidelines to achieve the best result
- Check food stocks, report on shortages, prioritise food that is close to expiry and keep the storage areas in good order
- Prioritise tasks, ensuring food items meet the required quality standard and in the required time frame
- Measure dish ingredients and portion sizes accurately
- Use a range of craft preparation and basic cooking skills and techniques to prepare, cook and finish dishes and menu items in line with business requirements
- Use correct knives and knife skills when preparing food and use the correct equipment when preparing, cooking and finishing food
- Correctly store and use food items and commodities when preparing, cooking and finishing dishes to deliver a quality product that is safe for the consumer
- Apply correct preparation and selection methods when using fresh produce in dishes
- Complete preparation and cooking tasks to a high standard, delivered on time and presented as described within the recipe specification
- Maintain a clean and hygienic kitchen environment at all times, complete kitchen documentation as required
- Work with others to ensure dishes produced are of high quality, delivered on time and to the standard required
- Choose methods of communication that achieve effective team working
- Develop own skills and knowledge through training and experiences
- Deal with team challenges and problems constructively to drive a positive outcome
- Effectively manage resources to meet specifications and control waste
- Follow safe systems of work reporting risks in the appropriate manner
Full information on Commis chef (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location