Commis chef (level 2)
Preparing food and carrying out basic cooking tasks in every section of a kitchen under the supervision of a senior chef.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Catering and hospitality
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Contribute to reviewing and refreshing menus in line with business and customer requirements
- Use technology for the development and production of dishes and menu items in line with business procedures and guidelines to achieve the best result
- Check food stocks, report on shortages, prioritise food that is close to expiry and keep the storage areas in good order
- Prioritise tasks, ensuring food items meet the required quality standard and in the required time frame
- Measure dish ingredients and portion sizes accurately
- Use a range of craft preparation and basic cooking skills and techniques to prepare, cook and finish dishes and menu items in line with business requirements
- Use correct knives and knife skills when preparing food and use the correct equipment when preparing, cooking and finishing food
- Correctly store and use food items and commodities when preparing, cooking and finishing dishes to deliver a quality product that is safe for the consumer
- Apply correct preparation and selection methods when using fresh produce in dishes
- Complete preparation and cooking tasks to a high standard, delivered on time and presented as described within the recipe specification
- Maintain a clean and hygienic kitchen environment at all times, complete kitchen documentation as required
- Work with others to ensure dishes produced are of high quality, delivered on time and to the standard required
- Choose methods of communication that achieve effective team working
- Develop own skills and knowledge through training and experiences
- Deal with team challenges and problems constructively to drive a positive outcome
- Effectively manage resources to meet specifications and control waste
- Follow safe systems of work reporting risks in the appropriate manner
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.