Software tester (level 4)
Carrying out tests to make sure computer software works as intended and is fit for purpose.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Automation tester
- Integration tester
- Penetration tester
- Software qa tester
- Software test analyst.
- Software tester
Skills an apprentice will learn
- apply static test techniques
- apply Black Box test techniques such as Equivalence Partitioning, Boundary Value Analysis, Decision Table Testing and State Transition Testing
- analyse test objectives and requirements/test basis to define test scope and coverage criteria
- use tools to automate, manage or support any test activity
- Apply a regression strategy including selection of tests, maintenance of regression suites and identifying tests suitable for automation
- use defect tracking tools
- adapt and apply testing activities according to industry standard development methodologies (sequential and iterative)
- apply the range of different software test types within the broad categories of Functional, Non-Functional (Security, Performance & Usability), and White Box/Structural Testing
- apply and support testing at different Test Levels appropriate to the Software Development Lifecycle (such as Unit Testing, Component Integration Testing, System Testing, System Integration Testing and User Acceptance Testing), taking into account the fundamentals of testing
- conform to specific industry standards where appropriate (such as GDPR, health informatics, safety critical, etc.) related to software testing
- maintain up to date knowledge of technological developments in the field of Software Testing
- record and interpret test progress and results, communicating test status to the relevant stakeholders
- Design and follow tests to achieve coverage criteria
Full information on Software tester (level 4) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.