Lead engineering maintenance technician (level 4)
Offer engineering support, technical leadership and expertise.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Installation technician
- Process technician
- Production support technician
- Senior maintenance technician
- Test and commissioning technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Comply with health and safety regulations and procedures. Apply safe systems of work.
- Comply with environmental and sustainability regulations and procedures when using resources. Segregate resources for re-use, recycling and disposal applying sustainability principles.
- Follow manufacturers’ instructions and standard maintenance procedures.
- Identify and document risks and hazards in the workplace. Advise on and apply control measures.
- Record or enter information - paper based or electronic. For example, job sheets, risk assessments, equipment service records, test results, handover documents and manufacturers' documentation, asset management records, work sheets, checklists, waste environmental records and any legal reporting requirements.
- Plan and schedule tasks, projects or resources in the workplace.
- Manage tasks, projects or resources in the workplace.
- Evaluate tasks, projects or resources in the workplace
- Communicate with colleagues and stakeholders verbally.
- Communicate in writing.
- Negotiate with colleagues or stakeholders. For example, to access equipment or arrange system outage.
- Identify potential conflicts and apply resolution strategies.
- Identify training needs of team members in the workplace.
- Provide technical leadership for maintenance practices and techniques.
- Provide technical leadership for repair practices and techniques.
- Provide technical leadership for fault finding techniques and practices.
- Identify problems and apply methods to identify causes and solutions. Escalate issues or concerns.
- Comply with engineering standards and regulations. For example, ISO9001.
- Interpret and use information from engineering data sources to apply changes.
- Lead on continuous improvement projects. Apply continuous improvement techniques. Devise suggestions for improvement.
- Manage technical handover of completed repair or maintenance activity.
- Use information technology. For example, for document creation, communication, and information management in line with breakdown, repair and maintenance activities. Comply with GDPR.
Full information on Lead engineering maintenance technician (level 4) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.