Non-destructive testing engineering technician (level 3)
Using specialist methods to detect cracks and other imperfections in manufactured components, including those that have been in service for a period of time.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Test Technician
- Testing Engineer
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Demonstrate the ability to manage areas of work that require the coordination and supervision of other staff, such as NDT Operators.
- Demonstrate NDT competencies relevant to the industry sector and appropriate materials using equipment, tools and processes
- The ability to carry out NDT in three methods, including at least one complex method, to appropriate national and international certification standards, such as BS EN ISO 9712 or BS EN 4179, that meet the requirements of Engineering Council EngTech registration
- Apply appropriate solutions to well-defined engineering problems using the chosen NDT methods
- Select appropriate methods and techniques and understand their limitations
- Supervise and project manage areas of work, to include where appropriate, NDT Operator’s work and reports for compliance and accuracy; achieve good time management
- Ability to conduct re-inspection audits of NDT Operator’s work, comparing and evaluating the results and taking appropriate action when necessary
- Implement quality control and quality assurance of NDT systems and performance
- Operate with good practical ability, including hand/eye coordination, in order to apply NDT
- Follow written procedures in order to demonstrate a disciplined approach
- Identify problems and apply appropriate NDT methods to identify causes and achieve satisfactory solutions and submit clear and precise NDT reports and instructions
- Identify, organise and use resources effectively to complete tasks, with consideration for cost, quality, safety, security and environmental impact
- Interpret engineering/CAD drawings, particularly those related to weld/component configuration n. Manage a project through to completion
Full information on Non-destructive testing engineering technician (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location