Express delivery sortation hub operative (level 2)
Contribute to the successful processing of items within the expected timeframe.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Transport and logistics
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Express delivery operative
- Sortation hub operative
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Unload and load items using the correct equipment. For example this may involve cages, bags or booms.
- Matches items for sortation with the correct manual, mechanical, or automated handling technique.
- Prepares and operates sortation equipment in line with operating instructions.
- Responds to deliveries, collections and returns in accordance with own organisation procedures and any relevant contractual arrangements.
- Adapts own method of communication to the circumstances, using correct sortation terminology.
- Respond to data to support the correct flow of automated sortation.
- Assess and update labelling where required to support smooth transition through sortation to delivery.
- Match item cost to delivery service and respond to irregularities. (For example, identifying a large envelope with a regular stamp).
- Monitor and maintain sortation equipment to the required functionality. For example, the minor adjusting of belts and chutes during a typical shift.
- Identify and remedy basic faults in sortation equipment.
- Create reports on sortation performance, within limits of own role.
- Identify problems beyond own responsibility and escalate to the relevant person.
- Follow the contingency procedures that relate to incidents and emergencies. For example, damaged parcels or breakages.
- Identify and handle dangerous goods correctly in accordance with legislative requirements.
- Coordinate own work with that of others in the team to provide the required sortation tasks.
- Store and share data only when it is permitted to do so, in line with data protection legislation.
- Work compliantly by following relevant health and safety legislation.
- Maintain the integrity and security of items in line with procedures.
- Support others by following own organisations equality and diversity requirements.
Full information on Express delivery sortation hub operative (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location