Lightning protection operative (level 2)
Install and maintain lightning protection and earthing systems.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Organise the workplace and other areas affected by the activities.
- Cross reference to Method Statements and Risk Assessments
- Identify shortfalls in the process and/or changes to the workplace which will have a safety, production or budgetary impact.
- Solve problems - predict and prevent H&S problems through observation and preventative action.
- Select the correct materials and equipment for the application and to ensure that the installation is compliant with the 'Standards' and that it meets client requirements/specification
- Ability to fault-find and determine and/or apply suitable corrective action.
- Installation of lightning protection and earthing products including air termination rods, down conductors and earth electrodes, isolated masts with associated testing and verification of products, networks and systems
- Installation of pedestrian controls including temporary traffic management
- Effective communication skills including oral, written including the keeping of accurate records, listening and body language.
- Installation of safety barriers or exclusion zones where hazardous work tasks are performed or mechanical plant is being used.
- Effective loading, unloading and distribution of materials
- Conductor joining techniques including pressure clamps, exo-thermic welding, brazing and crimping
- Specialist testing and verification: low resistance electrical continuity tests for earthing systems joint connections
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.