Professional forester (integrated degree) (level 6)
Provide expert advice on the woodlands and forests.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to degree.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Agriculture, environmental and animal care
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Navigate to work sites using tools (e.g. maps, compasses, location apps, GPS)
- Create maps to represent forestry / woodland sites using both paper and digital formats.
- Identify, classify and prioritise different sources of silvicultural information and data
- Use digital technology to conduct desk-based surveys.
- Apply accurate mensuration and survey techniques.
- Create Woodland Management / Creation Design Plan
- Produce and manage silvicultural operational assessments / schemes of work / operational and harvesting plans.
- Develop complex silviculture modelling scenarios including carbon balance, land use, landowner objectives, timber and/or other income.
- Communicate with others using different methods, for example digital, written, verbal, presentational (maps & sketches).
- Establish and manage internal and external relationships, for example contractors, media, stakeholders.
- Select and apply online silvicultural tool or application for task, for example MyForest, Felling Licence Online, Ecological Site Classification Tool, ForestGales
- Select and apply silvicultural systems to achieve management objectives.
- Manage risks to the environment including pollution, biosecurity, habitat degradation.
- Identify and manage risks to self, employees, public and others using dynamic site and operational risk assessment according to FISA Guidance.
- Collate, analyse and interpret silvicultural data and make recommendations.
- Develop and maintain information networks.
- Create and manage financial models and budgets.
- Prepare and manage financial and contractual documents (e.g. tenders, sales contracts, grant agreements).
- Manage, maintain and record own performance, professional development and currency of silvicultural knowledge.
Full information on Professional forester (integrated degree) (level 6) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location