Fisher (level 2)
Harvest fish and shellfish.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Agriculture, environmental and animal care
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Commercial Fisher
- Sea Fisher
- Sea Fisherman
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Check personal safety equipment for defects (including personal floatation device, wet weather gear and personal locator beacon).
- Check and acquire adequate food and water supplies for the length the trip.
- Carry out an inspection of the boat to ensure that safety equipment is in place, and check the engine maintenance record.
- Check that the deck is clear of obstructions and equipment is stowed away safely.
- Check ice is suitable for the length of trip.
- Inspect refrigeration/ storage facilities to ensure that it is operating correctly.
- Inspect hydraulic pipes for defects. Report findings.
- Prepare and shoot fishing gear.
- Prepare for and haul fishing gear.
- Identify the fish or shellfish species and sort them for processing. Release fish or shellfish in line with regulations.
- Estimate the weight of each species. Record the information and submit to the Skipper.
- Process species correctly (fish or shellfish). Store them to ensure quality.
- Identify and resolve problems with the boat and fishing gear (within level of authority).
- Keep watch and navigate the boat at sea (within level of authority), in line with Maritime Regulations (‘the rules of the road’).
- Navigate the boat using GPS, radar and auto pilot bridge navigation equipment (within level of authority).
- Tie up the boat taking into account the tide and weather conditions.
- Communicate with other stations or boats using VHF radio.
- Issue a distress alert.
- Follow safety procedures: man overboard, anchor drills, fire drills.
- Unload the catch for transport to market whilst maintaining catch quality.
- Prepare food for the crew and maintain cleanliness of living area.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.