Stonemason (level 2)
Install new natural sustainable and ethically sourced stone or conserve, repair or replace existing natural stone in buildings and/or landscape projects.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Banker stonemason
- Exterior stone fixer
- Heritage stonemason
- Interior stone fixer
- Memorial stonemason
- Stone facade preservation
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Core - Carry out safe stonemasonry working practices, comply with health, safety and welfare legislation, conduct risk assessments; Report any workplace hazards, incidents, near misses, accidents or emergencies.
- Core - Apply all safeguards and complete pre-use checks when using tools.
- Core - Select and use the appropriate tools, components and equipment; Repair and maintain tools, components and equipment.
- Core - Plan the sequence of stonemasonry work required; Ensure work is completed safely within the allocated time and budget and report any situations which affect the work schedule.
- Core - Select the required type and quantity of materials, move, handle and store safely.
- Core - Set out and work stone to receive enrichments such as flat, moulded, straight and curved, internal and external mitres, stop ends and returned ends.
- Core - Produce enrichments such as repeated enrichment (egg and dart, or tongue and dart, or bead and reel), v-cut carving, high relief carving or low relief carving.
- Core - Position and secure the stones in the required locations and identify bedding planes to suit the use of the stone component; When securing stone, ensure correct measurement, marking out, shape, level, fit, finish and position.
- Core - Comply with specific organisational and manufacturer's quality standards as required by the job specification and report any variation in quality, implementing agreed corrective actions where required.
- Core - Clean and tidy work area when work is finished; Store, transport and dispose of masonry waste; Reduce, reuse or recycle waste produced; Use work practices and resources which will contribute to zero/low carbon outcomes
- Core - Communicate with colleagues/customers; use industry terminology.
- Core - Ensure the products are the right size and fit to meet the design specification.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.