Town planning assistant (level 4)
Work with, and provide technical and administrative support to chartered town planners.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Assistant Town Planner
- Enforcement Assistant
- Planning Assistant
- Planning Support Officer
- Planning Technician
- Technical Support Officer
- Town Planning Assistant
- Town Planning Technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Data analysis: Research, collate and compare data relating to development proposals, applications and other planning considerations
- Policy analysis: Apply legislation, local and national policy and regulations to projects and casework
- Site analysis: Take and edit site photographs correctly, and take site visit notes accurately
- Report writing: Write reports and summaries and prepare initial documentation for planning proposals and policy representations
- Communication: Communicate effectively with members of the public, clients and other stakeholders. Respond to queries in writing and verbally. Use community engagement techniques to encourage participation in the planning system.
- Casework: Process own casework of projects including checking planning documentation for completeness and taking action in response to missing documentation
- Data monitoring: Consult, create and where necessary maintain records on relevant planning registers
- Mapping: Create accurate drawings, maps and digital illustrations. Interpret drawings and maps, and use appropriate mapping tools
- Presentation – internal: Discuss and present planning information, documentation and findings to colleagues
- Presentation – external: Prepare and deliver presentations to external audiences e.g. members of the public or other community or professional stakeholders
- Administration: Provide administrative support to line managers and peers. Keep an accurate record of meetings. Use appropriate case management systems.
Full information on Town planning assistant (level 4) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location