Cyber security technologist (2021) (level 4)
Apply an understanding of cyber security to protect from attacks and unauthorised access.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Cyber Operations Manager
- Cyber Risk Analyst
- Intelligence Researcher
- Security Analyst
- Security Architect
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Discover vulnerabilities in a system by using a mix of research and practical exploration
- Analyse and evaluate security threats and hazards to a system or service or processes. Use relevant external source of threat intelligence or advice (e.g. National Cyber Security Centre) Combine different sources to create an enriched view of cyber threats and hazards
- Research and investigate common attack techniques and relate these to normal and observed digital system behaviour and recommend how to defend against them. Interpret and demonstrate use of external source of vulnerabilities (e.g. OWASP, intelligence sharing initiatives, open source)
- Undertake security risk assessments for simple systems without direct supervision and propose basic remediation advice in the context of the employer.
- Source and analyse security cases and describe what threats, vulnerability or risks are mitigated and identify any residual areas of concern.
- Identify and follow organisational policies and standards for information and cyber security and operate according to service level agreements or other defined performance targets.
- Configure, deploy and use computer, digital network and cyber security technology.
- Recommend improvements to the cyber security posture of an employer or customer based on research into future potential cyber threats and considering threat trends.
- Write program code or scripts to meet a given design requirement in accordance with employers' coding standards
- Identify cyber security threats relevant to a defined context
- Accurately, objectively and concisely record and report the appropriate cyber security information, including in written reports within a structure or template provided.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.