Signage technician (level 3)
Design, manufacture, fabricate and install signage.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Graphic sign maker
- Graphics installer
- Large format printer
- Letter maker
- Neon glass bender
- Production department team member
- Road sign maker and fitter
- Sign designer
- Sign installation technician
- Sign maker
- Sign writer
- Signage fitter
- Transport and vehicle wrapper
- Vinyl applicator
- Wide format printer
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Interpret information, for example customer briefs, specifications and work instructions.
- Conduct site survey.
- Calculate costs and prepare quotations.
- Plan and schedule work.
- Prepare for signage work.
- Use graphic design software to design signage.
- Create pre-fabrication files/instructions.
- Select and use materials and components.
- Assemble signs.
- Trim, clean and add fixing features to signage such as eyelets, hinges and brackets, as required.
- Protect materials and signs to prevent damage during manufacture, transportation and storage.
- Apply, install or erect signs.
- Check signage materials and products against quality requirements.
- Identify and document risks and hazards in the workplace; advise on and apply control measures.
- Comply with health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Comply with organisational and statutory environmental and sustainability considerations: safe disposal of waste, recycling of materials and efficient use of resources.
- Select, set up, complete pre-checks and operate sign-making machinery, tools and equipment.
- Maintain work area, tools and equipment for example, charge batteries and sharpen blades.
- Use access equipment in the installation process, for example ladders, fixed and mobile platforms.
- Communicate with colleagues and/or stakeholders – verbal, written or electronic; use industry terminology.
- Complete documentation for example job sheets, maintenance records.
- Rectify or report issues.
Full information on Signage technician (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location