Signage technician (level 3)
Design, manufacture, fabricate and install signage.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Graphic sign maker
- Graphics installer
- Large format printer
- Letter maker
- Neon glass bender
- Production department team member
- Road sign maker and fitter
- Sign designer
- Sign installation technician
- Sign maker
- Sign writer
- Signage fitter
- Transport and vehicle wrapper
- Vinyl applicator
- Wide format printer
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Interpret information, for example customer briefs, specifications and work instructions.
- Conduct site survey.
- Calculate costs and prepare quotations.
- Plan and schedule work.
- Prepare for signage work.
- Use graphic design software to design signage.
- Create pre-fabrication files/instructions.
- Select and use materials and components.
- Assemble signs.
- Trim, clean and add fixing features to signage such as eyelets, hinges and brackets, as required.
- Protect materials and signs to prevent damage during manufacture, transportation and storage.
- Apply, install or erect signs.
- Check signage materials and products against quality requirements.
- Identify and document risks and hazards in the workplace; advise on and apply control measures.
- Comply with health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Comply with organisational and statutory environmental and sustainability considerations: safe disposal of waste, recycling of materials and efficient use of resources.
- Select, set up, complete pre-checks and operate sign-making machinery, tools and equipment.
- Maintain work area, tools and equipment for example, charge batteries and sharpen blades.
- Use access equipment in the installation process, for example ladders, fixed and mobile platforms.
- Communicate with colleagues and/or stakeholders – verbal, written or electronic; use industry terminology.
- Complete documentation for example job sheets, maintenance records.
- Rectify or report issues.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.