Material cutter (level 2)
Cut specified material components by hand or by machine using templates or measurements and then prepare the components for assembly.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Cutting operative
- Fabric cutter
- Manufacturing cutter
- Material cutter
- Sample cutter
- Textile cutter
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Read, interpret, and follow information for example work instructions, material specifications.
- Prepare the work area for cutting materials.
- Maintain the work area.
- Follow health and safety regulations, legislation and procedures; PPE, manual handling, lifting procedures and ergonomic practice.
- Follow environmental and sustainability regulations and procedures.
- Estimate and calculate material requirements to complete the job.
- Select material following specification or instruction.
- Inspect materials against specifications and quality standard.
- Check lay plan.
- Prepare materials for cutting for example lay and spread material.
- Select, check and use tools/equipment for the task.
- Cut material by hand and/or machine for example band knife, shears, laser.
- Check quality of the lay post cut for example waste minimised, grain, component positioning, colour continuity.
- Check cut components.
- Prepare material for the next stage of the production process for example bundling, labelling.
- Identify and segregate material for reuse, recycling and disposal.
- Check and clean tools and equipment and sharpen or change blades as required.
- Report cutting issues for example material faults, equipment faults shortages, required recuts, lay plan.
- Apply continuous improvement techniques.
- Communicate with colleagues: verbal.
- Enter information - written or electronic.
Full information on Material cutter (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location