Motor vehicle service and maintenance technician (light vehicle) (level 3)
Servicing and repairing light vehicles such as cars and vans, working on all the systems found in the vehicle.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- automotive engineer
- car maintenance technician
- car mechanic
- motor vehicle maintenance technician
- motor vehicle service technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Contribute to the maintenance of a safe and efficient workshop.
- Demonstrate due regard for own safety and that of others in the workshop and minimise risk of injury and vehicle damage.
- Carry out fundamental tasks associated with removal and replacement procedures on a vehicle;
- Obtain diagnostic and repair information
- Interpret diagnostic information and use electrical wiring diagrams to determine system serviceability.
- Use a range of diagnostic equipment.
- Follow recognised diagnostic procedures, logical diagnostic sequence and apply advanced diagnostic principles and problem-solving techniques to establish faults.
- Report faults using company procedures and recommend suitable further actions.
- Follow recognised repair procedures to complete a wide range of repairs including those which involve complex procedures, or in depth knowledge.
- Test the function of repaired and fitted components.
- Adhere to business processes and complete documentation following workplace procedures.
- Use ICT to create emails, word-process documents and carry out web based searches.
- Complete a range of services and inspect and prepare a vehicle to the required quality standard for handover to the customer.
Full information on Motor vehicle service and maintenance technician (light vehicle) (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.