Motor vehicle service and maintenance technician - light vehicle (level 3)
Servicing and repairing light vehicles.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- automotive engineer
- car maintenance technician
- car mechanic
- motor vehicle maintenance technician
- motor vehicle service technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Contribute to the maintenance of a safe and efficient workshop.
- Demonstrate due regard for own safety and that of others in the workshop and minimise risk of injury and vehicle damage.
- Carry out fundamental tasks associated with removal and replacement procedures on a vehicle;
- Obtain diagnostic and repair information
- Interpret diagnostic information and use electrical wiring diagrams to determine system serviceability.
- Use a range of diagnostic equipment.
- Follow recognised diagnostic procedures, logical diagnostic sequence and apply advanced diagnostic principles and problem-solving techniques to establish faults.
- Report faults using company procedures and recommend suitable further actions.
- Follow recognised repair procedures to complete a wide range of repairs including those which involve complex procedures, or in depth knowledge.
- Test the function of repaired and fitted components.
- Adhere to business processes and complete documentation following workplace procedures.
- Use ICT to create emails, word-process documents and carry out web based searches.
- Complete a range of services and inspect and prepare a vehicle to the required quality standard for handover to the customer.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.