Power and propulsion gas turbine engineer (level 7)
Design and develop, operate and maintain gas turbine systems.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to master’s degree.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Aerothermal engineer
- Customer support engineer
- Gas turbine design
- Maintenance manager
- Mechanical engineer
- Performance engineer
- Plant operations engineer
- Plant technician
- Project engineer
- Rotating equipment engineer
- Service development engineer
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Evaluate the performance of an engine system, using well-informed assumptions to determine its condition.
- Assess the outcomes from quantitative evaluations of gas turbine designs, to determine appropriate engine systems for particular applications.
- Employ computer-based gas turbine models to estimate engine performance at design and off-design conditions.
- Investigate the impact of different degradation and faults on gas turbine performance using computer-based models.
- Employ computer-based diagnostic analysis tools to detect gas turbine faults.
- Critically analyse the design and performance of turbomachinery components for modifications or new developments.
- Assess the influence of design choices on combustor efficiency, emissions, durability and stability to meet expected standards and compliance.
- Estimate the impact of operating conditions of a gas turbine combustor for maintenance replacements (life of combustor liner).
- Account for heat transfer effects and the cooling technology to produce a realistic assessment of turbine blade conditions.
- Assess life, fatigue and failure of cracked components.
- Evaluate the loads, stresses from rotation and vibration, as well as failure criteria of turbomachinery components.
- Assess the creep life of a gas turbine component subject to a complex operating profile.
- Employ desk-top methods to evaluate the stress distributions and vibration frequencies, to suggest ways of ameliorating any problems.