Water network operative (level 2)
Construct, maintain and repair water network infrastructure, to provide a reliable supply/service to domestic, commercial and industrial users.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Mains layer
- Repair and maintenance operative
- Service layer
- Utility operative
- Water operative
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Identify hazards and implement controls to reduce risks; comply with method statements.
- Interpret work instructions/engineering instructions and determine actions.
- Identify and organise resources to undertake activities.
- Comply with workplace health, safety & environmental policy and practice; use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and safety equipment.
- Check signing, lighting and guarding; address issues if required.
- Dig holes for utility network services.
- Monitor and maintain site conditions; good housekeeping.
- Identify, locate and avoid utility supply apparatus and sub-structures.
- Select, check and operate equipment and tools; report faults if required.
- Maintain and store equipment and tools, for example charge batteries, clean equipment, grease machines, re-fuel.
- Communicate with colleagues and/or stakeholders, for example, statutory agencies and members of the public, customers.
- Carry out trench installation for example, sheeting, lightweight and proprietary systems.
- Record information, for example job reports, time sheets.
- Backfill and reinstate road and/or pavement surfaces after water network construction/repair.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.