Ordnance munitions explosives technician (level 4)
To be involved in or contribute to the design and operation of OME by preparing explosives compositions and devices.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 30 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Ammunition Technician
- OME Manufacturing Technician
- Pyrotechnics Technician
- Shot firer
- Special Effects Technician
- Storage and Transport Coordinator
- Trials and Research Technician
- Weapons Technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Prepare and supervise an OME workplace, in line with organisational procedures selecting appropriate equipment and resources and return it to a serviceable condition having recorded and taken appropriate action to address any faults.
- Apply correct H&S and explosives regulations to task and confirm hazard and risk against agreed criteria.
- Conduct inspection and testing, using visual and sampling techniques, and record outcomes in line with organisational or legislative requirements.
- Make safe, quarantine, and/or prepare OME for disposal.
- Maintain accurate record keeping and identifying areas for improvement and making recommendations.
- Use a range of techniques to coach, mentor and communicate within their area of OME responsibility.
- Handle and use OME correctly in accordance with the relevant procedures, guidance and legislation.
- Identify and implement appropriate OME procedures in the workplace to meet stakeholder requirements.
- Confirm the type, quality and quantity of OME relevant to the activity in the workplace.
- Implement and maintain housekeeping standards such as cleanliness and waste disposal using best practice protocols.
- Plan and prioritise their own and the team’s workload in response to developing events within the workplace.
- Prepare Ordnance Munitions and Explosives for specified tasks, taking suitable precautions to prevent damage to equipment and facilities.
- Apply the principles of OME to achieve the required explosive effect for a specific ordnance munition or explosive application.
- Undertake inventory activities such as audits, recording outcomes in line with organisational requirements.
- Use a range of techniques to supervise OME activities, within their area of responsibility.
Full information on Ordnance munitions explosives technician (level 4) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location