Curtain wall installer (level 3)
Install curtain wall systems to form all or part of the external envelope of a building.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 21 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Curtain Wall Fitter
- Curtain Wall Fixer
- Curtain Waller Installer
- External Building Envelope Installer
- Façade Installer
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Select the correct type and quantity of materials, components and equipment for each task in line with specifications/instructions
- Read and interpret specifications, diagrams, drawings, and work instructions such as BIM; following instructions
- Prepare the work area effectively, making the site safe and ensuring all parties are considered
- Perform dynamic risk assessments, identifying risks and hazards in the workplace and control measures
- Complete tools and equipment checks and adjustments. Use appropriate tools and equipment safely
- Handle, load, unload and store products safely to minimise damage
- Follow health & safety and environmental policy and procedures. Re-use, re-cycle and dispose of material, waste and scrap from the work area, as appropriate
- Check and inspect own work. Report work outcomes and problems
- Communicate with colleagues/customers; using common industry terminology appropriately and accurately
- Complete all relevant documentation to the job such as system specific checklists and accident and emergency reporting methods
- Use lifting and handling equipment/plant that is appropriate for the installation
- Use access equipment safely including the use of man safe systems
- Inspect the structure and survey the work area to ensure the drawings are accurate, the specification is correct and the installation can take place
- Set out the curtain wall system to gridlines and datums
- Correctly utilise the appropriate fixings, anchors and brackets to secure to the structure
- Correctly utilise the appropriate fixings and method to secure the curtain wall system to the structure
- Use a range of sealants and sealing methods correctly and according to specification.
- Check that the installation is plumb, line and level
- Use support/setting blocks correctly to avoid damage
- Install infill panels and secure them into place
- Apply face caps and gaskets correct to specification
- Complete own work correct to specification within the defined schedule.
- Carry out the handover process
Full information on Curtain wall installer (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location