Curtain wall installer (level 3)
Install curtain wall systems to form all or part of the external envelope of a building.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 21 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Curtain Wall Fitter
- Curtain Wall Fixer
- Curtain Waller Installer
- External Building Envelope Installer
- Façade Installer
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Select the correct type and quantity of materials, components and equipment for each task in line with specifications/instructions
- Read and interpret specifications, diagrams, drawings, and work instructions such as BIM; following instructions
- Prepare the work area effectively, making the site safe and ensuring all parties are considered
- Perform dynamic risk assessments, identifying risks and hazards in the workplace and control measures
- Complete tools and equipment checks and adjustments. Use appropriate tools and equipment safely
- Handle, load, unload and store products safely to minimise damage
- Follow health & safety and environmental policy and procedures. Re-use, re-cycle and dispose of material, waste and scrap from the work area, as appropriate
- Check and inspect own work. Report work outcomes and problems
- Communicate with colleagues/customers; using common industry terminology appropriately and accurately
- Complete all relevant documentation to the job such as system specific checklists and accident and emergency reporting methods
- Use lifting and handling equipment/plant that is appropriate for the installation
- Use access equipment safely including the use of man safe systems
- Inspect the structure and survey the work area to ensure the drawings are accurate, the specification is correct and the installation can take place
- Set out the curtain wall system to gridlines and datums
- Correctly utilise the appropriate fixings, anchors and brackets to secure to the structure
- Correctly utilise the appropriate fixings and method to secure the curtain wall system to the structure
- Use a range of sealants and sealing methods correctly and according to specification.
- Check that the installation is plumb, line and level
- Use support/setting blocks correctly to avoid damage
- Install infill panels and secure them into place
- Apply face caps and gaskets correct to specification
- Complete own work correct to specification within the defined schedule.
- Carry out the handover process
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.