Smart home technician (level 3)
Installing, configuring, calibrating, and troubleshooting a range of electrically connected Digital Home Technologies.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Audio/ video installer
- Residential network installer
- Smart home installation technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Using documentation keys, scales and revision numbers.
- Reading and following installation, architectural and project documentation.
- Following electrical and constructional health and safety procedures and policies for human safety and accident prevention.
- Safe isolation & accessory replacement.
- Connecting and configuring various network connected devices (e.g. typical domestic routers, network switches and wireless access points), securing a network using physical and cryptographic means.
- Installing and testing typical control hardware.
- Installation, configuration and testing of typical access control hardware.
- Installing, configuring, troubleshooting, maintaining and basic calibration of audio, video, and home entertainment systems.
- Installation and testing of terrestrial & satellite broadcast television, analogue and digital radio receivers.
- Placing and mounting typical hardware of all types listed within the individual subject areas of this standard.
- Installing, configuring and testing communication devices.
- Installing equipment ventilation and battery backup system (UPSs) and interfacing with HVAC and other energy management systems.
- Installing and testing structured wiring systems using verification tools to PAS 35491.
- Testing, fault finding and troubleshooting cabling infrastructure, hardware, software, and firmware. Using applicable test equipment to check compliance with agreed specifications.
- Making modifications to existing construction (e.g. drilling, channelling, cable running, choosing and using appropriate anchoring devices).
- Troubleshooting basic systems to rectify simple faults.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.