Props technician (level 3)
Supporting the props master to supply, build and maintain dressing and hand props for film, television and theatre productions.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Creative and design
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Effectively break down a script for both dressing with props and standing by.
- Cost and source props or materials required for the production.
- Select appropriate props for period designs.
- Prepare props according to the shooting and dressing schedule.
- Work with the props team to create appropriate work and storage spaces.
- Use suitable methods to adapt props to meet production requirements.
- Repair any broken props on set using the correct adhesives and good working practices.
- Work with a team to dress the set or location to the design and dressing brief.
- Work in accordance with the constraints of the set or location.
- Work in an effective, safe and timely manner to meet the dressing schedule.
- Use selected tools and kit to complete the required task for set building or dressing.
- Work effectively as part of a team to meet the requirements of the strike.
- Follow the brief outlined by Chargehands and Storeman.
- Adhere to current Health and Safety legistation and organisational policies when striking a set.
- Apply health and safety knowledge practices to minimise the risk to cast and crew.
- Identify, mitigate and report any incidents or risk to the appropriate personnel.
- Select the appropriate tools and equipment and use these safely on set, on location and in workshops on productions.
- Develop, maintain and use professional networks.
- Develop and maintain own competence and knowledge in props areas.
- Communicate clearly and concisely using discretion when required.
- Work within budget and timescales to support the production.
Full information on Props technician (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.