Mineral products technician (level 5)
Ensuring that sufficient materials and products are available to meet customer requirements.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national diploma (HND).
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Assistant Materials Manager
- Cutting Shed Foreman
- Extraction Supervisor
- Operations Supervisor
- Prestressed Operations Supervisor
- Quarry Supervisor
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Work competently, safely and manage risks in accordance with HSE regulations.
- Apply their knowledge of health and safety hazards, major hazards, environmental aspects and risks associated with the operation in order to train others to conduct full risk assessments, license to operate procedures and be able to fully investigate and evaluate health, safety and environmental accidents and incidents, report findings and implement improvements.
- Use their knowledge of emergency response processes and procedures to deal with emergency situations and ensure that in these circumstances the site is evacuated, secured and made safe as swiftly as possible.
- Recommend and support improvements to environmental, health and safety culture, procedures, process and systems across the operation.
- Obtain, evaluate and use information from the teams across the site to take critical operational decisions. This could include information on a range of matters such as the products, the equipment and the staffing levels.
- Utilise communications technology for performing and supporting the business processes including, communications, work co-ordination, task analysis and problem solving.
- Ensure that operational systems are adhered to by all employees in accordance with quality control plans and procedures.
- Use appropriate Personal Protective Equipment in order to meet employers and regulatory health and safety requirements.
- Apply root cause analysis
- Use the principles of predictive and preventative maintenance of all mineral products equipment in order to minimise downtime and costs.
- Develop & write technical reports that meet business requirements including the optimisation and continuous improvement of processes and services
- Maximise the use of the resources, maximise products from raw materials, ensuring sustainability of resources.
- Provide technical knowledge transfer to colleagues and continuous improvements in line with business requirements.
- Optimise processes & products re: cost and performance in line with budget requirements.
- Communicate all relevant information with the operational team, customers and all stakeholders by email, handheld radio, phone and face to face to keep them up to date with site production issues, ensuring information is passed clearly and promptly.
- Plan and implement plans for work activities and projects.
- Monitoring trends, interpreting results and making adjustments in production.
- Use knowledge of the local communities, official bodies and other stakeholders associated with Mineral Products and their interests in the industry to liaise and engage with them to ensure positive working relationships are established, minimising disputes.