Refrigeration air conditioning and heat pump engineering technician (level 3)
Planning, preparing and safely carrying out work in process, product and space cooling.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- air conditioning engineer
- Air Conditioning Technician
- Commissioning Engineer
- heat pump Engineer
- Heat pump Technician
- maintenance engineer
- Maintenance Technician
- Refrigeration Technician
- service engineer
- Service Technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Installation, commissioning, testing, fault diagnostics, rectification of systems, component/refrigerant suitability and selection
- Working with pressure systems and electrical circuits and systems
- Evaluating and mitigating risks of refrigerants including toxicity, flammability and other potential risks or hazards to self and the general public
- Decommissioning, safe recovery and disposal of equipment and hazardous waste transfer
- Electrical and electronic control systems setting, testing and fault finding; and their integration with system-associated communication networks
- Positioning, fixing, jointing and testing of pipework, electrical circuits and water circuits where relevant
- Determining heating and cooling loads and selecting and balancing appropriate components and systems for maximum performance and efficiency
- Using system operating parameters for efficient performance to achieve measurable and sustained reductions in carbon emissions
- Routine and reactive service and maintenance, testing, fault finding, reporting and rectification
- Retrofitting and retrofilling of existing equipment to lower GWP refrigerants including safety, reliability and environmental considerations
Full information on Refrigeration air conditioning and heat pump engineering technician (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.