Materials science technologist (degree) (level 6)
Ensuring materials are fit for purpose for a wide range of different industries.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to degree.
- Typical duration
- 48 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Development Engineer
- Graduate Material Scientist
- Graduate Sales Exec
- Materials Tester
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control
- R&D Technologist
- Technical Service Specialist
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Utilise cognitive and practical skills in conjunction with adaptability and versatility in technical support both in-house and to clients to improve manufacturing processes, problem solving, innovation, and scale up formulations.
- Determine and use industry standard and emerging digital technologies and data analysis tools to complete work activities and address problems that are ill defined or involve numerous interacting factors.
- Critically evaluate actions, methodologies, and results and their implications in analysing materials against parameters in product specifications.
- Conduct and interpret failure analysis of engineering components using relevant methodologies and systems such as but not limited to, for example, microscopy, macroscopy, and chemical analysis.
- Write clear and succinct technical and analytical reports.
- Research, adapt and test new technologies through materials characterisation feedback.
- Interpret, develop and implement UK and international materials standards, procedures and specifications across a range of operations and contexts.
- Maintain a working knowledge of a range of project management and financial management techniques to complete projects relevant to their discipline.
- Utilise emotional intelligence and identify a range of supervisory, management, and leadership skills in developing the ability to mentor, direct or lead teams or individuals.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and stakeholders using the appropriate language register both verbally and in writing.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location