Materials science technologist (degree) (level 6)
Ensuring materials are fit for purpose for a wide range of different industries.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to degree.
- Typical duration
- 48 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Development Engineer
- Graduate Material Scientist
- Graduate Sales Exec
- Materials Tester
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control
- R&D Technologist
- Technical Service Specialist
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Utilise cognitive and practical skills in conjunction with adaptability and versatility in technical support both in-house and to clients to improve manufacturing processes, problem solving, innovation, and scale up formulations.
- Determine and use industry standard and emerging digital technologies and data analysis tools to complete work activities and address problems that are ill defined or involve numerous interacting factors.
- Critically evaluate actions, methodologies, and results and their implications in analysing materials against parameters in product specifications.
- Conduct and interpret failure analysis of engineering components using relevant methodologies and systems such as but not limited to, for example, microscopy, macroscopy, and chemical analysis.
- Write clear and succinct technical and analytical reports.
- Research, adapt and test new technologies through materials characterisation feedback.
- Interpret, develop and implement UK and international materials standards, procedures and specifications across a range of operations and contexts.
- Maintain a working knowledge of a range of project management and financial management techniques to complete projects relevant to their discipline.
- Utilise emotional intelligence and identify a range of supervisory, management, and leadership skills in developing the ability to mentor, direct or lead teams or individuals.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and stakeholders using the appropriate language register both verbally and in writing.
Full information on Materials science technologist (degree) (level 6) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location