Road surfacing operative (level 2)
Surfacing and resurfacing vast stretches of the public and privately owned highway network.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 15 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Lay and compact road surfaces using all forms of asphalt and ancillary productssuch as bond coat and bituminous jointing compounds, in accordance with relevant specifications and industry best practise.
- Prepare and operate large specialist resurfacing plant and machinery such as planers to remove the existing surface, floating screed pavers laying asphalt, rollers, chippers, loading shovels and large hydraulic breakers.
- Prepare and operate powered units and tools such as disc cutters, breakers, floor-saws and compactor plates.
- Carry out the excavation (planing) and reinstatement of the highway, install street ironworks.
- Identify, locate and excavate around underground services to avoid strikes and loss of service.
- Apply appropriate health, safety, environmental and ecological procedures when working on the roads, including the movement, storage, lifting and handling of resources.
- Plan, undertake and inspect work safely, efficiently and productively.
- Read, interpret and work to drawings, specifications and highways information.
- Work safely within temporary traffic management (utilising sterile safety zones, traffic lights, signage, cones and barriers) as required by legislation and industry standards to protect all parties whilst works are undertaken.
- Communicate effectively using oral and written communication methods.
- Work effectively within a team environment, cooperating and supporting team members when required.
- Use own time effectively in order to consistently complete work on time to agreed programmes.
Full information on Road surfacing operative (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location