Automation and controls engineering technician (level 4)
Installing and maintaining hardware and software for automation systems.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 48 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Safety Effective - The ability to work safely in an industrial environment and where required, produce risk assessment/method statement documentation. Be able to apply the principles of functional machinery and/or process safety including SIL (Safety Integrated Level) and PL (Performance Level) terminology
- Engineering documentation - Production and interpretation of a range of technical documentation (device manuals, operating procedures, schematics, fault reports etc), and working with company documentation systems
- Project engineering capabilities - Support of installation, commissioning, shut-down, start-up and maintenance/service/support of a wide range of systems and devices
- Diagnostic capabilities - Fault finding, diagnosis, rectification and reporting of automation control systems and controls applications via the utilisation of formal problem solving methods and diagnostic tools/software
- Instrumentation configuration and calibration - Set-up, calibrate and commission a wide variety of field level instrumentation that interfaces to automation & control systems
- Industrial Networks configuration and support - configure, assist commissioning and continued support of industrial network solutions at all hierarchical levels of control system integration using the requisite tools and or software
- HMI & SCADA configuration and programming - Make changes to existing systems or implement new configurations
- PLC/Robot configuration and programming - Implement complex PLC/Robot program content and configurations to affect changes to increase availability and or efficiency of automation controlled machinery and the ability to configure PLC and or Robot hardware and program a wide variety of PLC’s and or Robot’s
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.