Marine technical superintendent (degree) (level 7)
Overseeing vessel performance and the technical and operational condition of vessels.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to master’s degree.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Evaluate complex, technical information from many sources drawing accurate conclusions and making informed decisions.
- Predict and solve operational problems with innovative solutions where appropriate and using integrated software solutions to aid problem solving.
- Work within any necessary commercial and budgetary constraints to ensure vessels remain in a safe and seaworthy condition in accordance with Classification Society and Flag State requirements, are operated safely and meet all necessary regulatory standards.
- Organise and plan technical projects within agreed strict deadlines and budget, and to agreed quality standards to optimise the utilisation of vessels within a given fleet. Ensure that all work is completed in accordance with the appropriate contract and that extra and emergent work is completed within financial and time constraints ensuring required quality standards are met.
- Manage the operating expenditure (OPEX) and capital expenditure (CAPEX) technical budgets for the maintenance and dry docking of vessels in the fleet, including monitoring and control of the cost of repairs, spare parts, fuel and lube oil usage.
- Develop and apply an understanding of maritime sector economics to support well-founded commercial decision-making. Analyse financial data and liaise with all relevant stakeholders to maintain an efficient technical operation.
- Successfully implement compliance frameworks for the technical management of vessels, crew safety and protection of the environment such as SOLAS, MARPOL, IMDG Code, ISM Code, STCW, ILO MLC, Flag State, ISO requirements and workforce health and safety legislation.
- Build, lead and manage multifunctional teams, interacting with and influencing a range of internal and external stakeholders. Develop HR-related skills such as the performance management of staff, recruitment and selection activities etc.
- Act as a team player when operating as part of a wider team.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with all levels within and across the organisation, both at-sea and on-shore Positively challenge to affect change where appropriate.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with stakeholders to ensure that all parties are aware of operational and technical requirements.
- Effectively liaise with relevant manufacturers regarding technological advances.
- Effectively scope, allocate accurate budgetary costs and present a business case for vessel upgrades or the adoption of emerging technologies to optimise performance.
Full information on Marine technical superintendent (degree) (level 7) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
No training providers available for this course yet
Try searching for another course.
Can't find a training provider?
We can let other training providers know you are interested in Marine technical superintendent (degree) (level 7).