Specialist rescue operative (level 4)
Efficiently and safely completing rescue operations from confined spaces including at height or underground.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Protective services
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Operate as part of an effective and efficient rescue team to the required company standards, safe systems of work and current regulations such as Confined Spaces and Mines Regulations
- Train and assess competence of others in the environments they themselves are deemed competent in. (a mine, a confined space and at height)
- Conduct rescue operations in multiple environments and hazardous situations, such as at height, oxygen deficient, toxic and hot atmospheres, and carry out rescues involving casualty entrapment. Examples would be confined spaces, heights or underground mines with complex entry and exits with various options for ventilating the confined space or underground mine. These complex confined spaces and underground mines would or may have multiple operations being undertaken simultaneously
- Fight different types of fires in both above ground and underground environments that may contain various gasses and other underground hazards
- Preserve an endangered life, conduct a rescue if possible
- Remain calm and objective under pressure
- Transport trapped people through an irrespirable atmosphere
- Transport casualties to a place of safety and further assistance
- Fault find, test, maintain and service/re-service all rescue equipment
- Minimise the effect of emissions from fire, fumes or other gases in the confined space or underground environment
- Conduct routine and reactive maintenance of all equipment and breathing apparatus in accordance with company policy, procedures and manufacturers specifications
- Use materials, fluids, gases and lubricants required for everyday operations and maintenance in accordance with company policy, procedures, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health data (COSHH) and manufacturers specifications
- Plan and arrange equipment and resources and complete required rescue standby tasks in line with company key performance indicators and measures and record progress against them.
- Plan the work required, follow the plan and look for and implement improvements in this plan as well as future work plans
- Plan inclusive teaching and learning incorporating people learning styles
- Deliver inclusive teaching and learning
- Evaluate the delivery of inclusive teaching and learning, modifying delivery where required
- Assess learners using a range of methods, against competency requirements and skills matrices