Vehicle damage panel technician (level 3)
Demonstrating expert working knowledge in relation to the removal, repair and replacement of vehicle body panels.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 36 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Body Repairer
- Panel Beater
- Panel Technician
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Ability to undertake appropriate job preparation prior to commencing repair, including safety precautions, panel preparation and body measurements.
- Ability to identify the material used in the construction to enable the correct joining techniques and manufacturer specifications to be adhered to.
- Ability to interpret relevant technical data and methods to make sure that any joints are in line with vehicle manufacturer specification and the vehicle/body panels are aligned correctly
- Ability to identify and understand the correct joining technology, e.g. when to use resistance spot welding or mig brazing or bonding.
- Ability to remove, repair and replace vehicle body panels and components of the vehicle safely and efficiently
- Ability to identify and operate the correct repair tools, equipment and devices used in the process, panel pulling systems, jig and alignment tools, spot welders, brazing tools.
- Ability to identify and communicate supplementary damage such as panels that were deemed to be reparable but once worked on were found to be beyond repair along with damage that could not be established on original inspection.
- Ability to detect and rectify faults within a vehicles structure that’s integral to its safety
Full information on Vehicle damage panel technician (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location