Tramway construction operative (level 2)
Preparing and delivering a high standard of technical work relating to the construction and renewal of the Tramway and the Tramway environment.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Light Rail Construction Operative
- Tramway Construction Operative
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Contribute to safe working practices and procedures, including wearing the appropriate personal protective equipment and follow the appropriate rules and procedures relating to safe systems of work in the Tramway environment, including working at heights and in confined spaces/trenches and on or near roads or track.
- Ensure all preparations for the shift have been carried out and all relevant information has been communicated and understood.
- Access and follow information and documentation to support construction and renewals activities, including method statements, risk assessments, plans, specifications, manuals etc.
- Select, inspect and prepare hand held tools, equipment and items of plant to support construction and renewals activities, ensuring calibration tolerances have been met as applicable.
- Set up and maintain a temporary traffic management system and install barriers, signage and pedestrian walkways as required.
- Lift, move and install large and irregular shaped loads using appropriate equipment and/or methods within restricted space confinements.
- Communicate relevant and technical information clearly and timely, using appropriate equipment, verbal and non-verbal communication methods to colleagues and customers.
- Safely carry out construction and renewals activities, including: Installation and removal of temporary works. Installation of concrete, reinforced track form, tram stops, retaining walls, platforms, ducting and drainage. Laying of tarmac, kerbs and channels. Digging and excavation ensuring utilities are protected and avoided using approved techniques and procedures. Assisting with installation of steelwork structures and components (such as OLE framework), using approved methods and techniques including welding, assembling bolted joints. Assisting with Installation and renewal of light rail track, points, switches and crossings.
- Carry out site clearance activities, dealing with waste items, storage of reusable materials and components.
- Deal with incidents, accidents and emergencies, taking action to minimise risk to self and others e.g. minimising risk of cable strike, applying first aid.
- Deal with conflict and/or challenging behaviour, de-escalating issues and providing assistance which is considerate of risk and promotes good will.
Full information on Tramway construction operative (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
No training providers available for this course yet
Try searching for another course.
Can't find a training provider?
We can let other training providers know you are interested in Tramway construction operative (level 2).