Metal fabricator (level 3)
Manufacturing anything that can be fabricated out of metal such as bridges, oil rigs and ships.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 42 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Work safely at all times, comply with health & safety legislation, regulations and organisational requirements
- Comply with environmental legislation, regulations and organisational requirements
- Obtain, check and use the appropriate documentation (such as job instructions, drawings, quality control documentation)
- Carry out relevant planning and preparation activities before commencing work activity
- Undertake the work activity using the correct processes, procedures and equipment
- Carry out the required checks (such as quality, compliance or testing) using the correct procedures, processes and/or equipment
- Deal promptly and effectively with problems within the limits of their responsibility using approved diagnostic methods and techniques and report those which cannot be resolved to the appropriate personnel
- Complete any required documentation using the defined recording systems at the appropriate stages of the work activity
- Restore the work area on completion of the activity and where applicable return any resources and consumables to the appropriate location
- Identify and follow correct Metal work instructions, specifications, drawing etc.
- Mark out using appropriate tools and techniques
- Cut and form Metal for the production of fabricated products
- Produce and assemble Metal products to required specification and quality requirements
- Identify and follow correct joining instructions, specifications, drawing etc.
- Carry out the relevant preparation before starting the joining fabrication activity
- Set up, check, adjust and use joining and related equipment
- Weld joints in accordance with approved welding procedures and quality requirements
Full information on Metal fabricator (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.