Groundworker (level 2)
Interpreting design specifications to prepare a construction site ready for structural building works to take place.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Work safely and securely in compliance with given information, organisational policies and procedures, and current health, safety and welfare legislation including following the procedures for working in contaminated ground
- Conform with productive working practices and completing the work in accordance with the programme of work
- Interpret and follow verbal and written work instructions from supervisors and site managers
- Access, interpret and use drawings and specifications
- Select the required resources including tools and fixtures
- Move, handle and store resources complying with relevant legislation & guidance
- Use and maintain power tools and equipment (including;. compactor plates, boning rods, portable power tools, levels, straight edges, lines, pins and laser equipment)
- Gauge and mix mortars and concrete by hand and by mixer
- Select and use basic setting out equipment including tape measures, levels, straight edges, lines and pins, boning rods and laser equipment under guidance of the supervisor
- Install, maintain and remove temporary protection and safety arrangements for the work area relating to barriers and temporary structures, including protection, safety notices and safety lighting
- Install and test basic drainage and ducting
- Measure, mark, cut and install geo-membranes to stabilise soil for re-instatement and excavations
- Transport and place, then compact and finish concrete to slabs/bases, footing oversights, paths, form slab edgings including positioning reinforcement and kerbs
- Set out and lay flags, paviours and edging to paths, driveways and other areas
- Install ironworks relating to access covers and frames, and gully grates and frames including preparatory brickwork
- Locate and excavate to expose buried utility services using electronic location instruments
- Provide and remove temporary works including shallow excavation support (up to 1.2 metres)
- Form and reinstate excavations and surfaces to sub-grades, sub-bases and road bases
- Prepare to, then direct and guide the movement of vehicles, plant or machinery
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.