Structural steelwork erector (level 2)
Assembling fabricated structural steel components in order to ensure that the finished structure is secure and level.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Plan and prepare to ensure production and personal development goals are achieved.
- Identify the fabricated steel frame components for the correct sequence of erection for the structural steelwork.
- Prepare the working area, equipment, consumables and materials for laying down and storage of steelwork components.
- Identify and use the lifting accessories required to offload fabricated steelwork from delivery vehicles.
- Use established lifting techniques to ensure the component can be connected into its final position.
- Prepare and use the equipment for making the bolting connections.
- Complete and dimensionally check the finished framework ready for inspection and report into the production control system.
- Achieve a quality of work to meet international standards for dimensional inspection.
- Ensure that health and safety requirements are fully accounted for in all of the above.