Mineral and construction product sampling and testing operations (level 2)
Collecting and sampling mineral and construction products to ensure they meet customer specifications.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 14 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Minimise waste and recycle or dispose of waste in line with business environmental and sustainability policies
- Comply with risk assessments, safe systems of work, company safety policy and procedures at all times
- Sample product either on production site or on customers site using the appropriate equipment for the product. For example, asphalt testing would include tests such as: organoleptic analysis, binder content, grading analysis, temperature, bulk density, % refusal density, insitu density and texture depth “ when thinking of asphalt testing “ assessing whether the material correct and whether it been laid correctly
- Plan and perform tasks following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and safe systems of work
- Produce reliable and accurate reports
- Follow industry guidance when completing sampling tasks and and record progress against them
- Diagnose faults with sampling and testing equipment and take appropriate actions
- Identify deficiencies in both product and the placement of the product. (e.g. concrete being poured into foundations which are holding rain water)
- Analyse, interpret and evaluate data and identify results requiring further investigation (non-conformance) seeking advice from colleagues as appropriate
- Deal with issues calmly and diffuse difficult situations
- Provide courteous and attentive customer service in every aspect of the role, this includes preparing clear written reports and listening and speaking to customers politely, explaining issues factually and clearly
- Communicate information, including the use of information management systems, either digital or paper based
- Communicate with people at all levels effectively ensuring accurate information is passed clearly and promptly
- Work within the company rules and regulations
- Use IT software and systems in line with company policy and procedures. This will include using test data entry, analysis and reporting systems
Full information on Mineral and construction product sampling and testing operations (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location