Industrial coatings applicator (level 2)
Preparing the surface of new or existing steel structures and applying the appropriate corrosion protection coatings.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 18 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Prepare and maintain working areas for undertaking work safely and effectively including the safe use and secure storage of equipment and material.
- Use established safe manual and mechanical handling techniques to move equipment, material and waste.
- Interpret and work to method statements, specifications, and inspection and test plans.
- Undertake the specified method of surface preparation of the steelwork (e.g. by hand or power tool cleaning, blast cleaning) and the specified method of protective coating application (e.g. by brush, roller, spray), to the required standards.
- Achieve the specified standard of work including the use of appropriate quality control measuring and test equipment, and instrumentation.
- Identify surface preparation and coatings defects, and rectify defective work.
- Care for and maintain tools and equipment.
- Identify and correctly use appropriate personal protective and respirator equipment ensuring that it is in good condition and working correctly.
- Maintain health, safety and environmental protection measures.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.