Mammography associate (level 4)
Operating specialist equipment used to screen people for breast cancer.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Breast screening assistant practitioner
- Mammography assistant practitioner
- Mammography Associate
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Prepare equipment and environments appropriately for mammography.
- Identify individuals attending for mammography appropriately.
- Prepare individuals appropriately for mammography.
- Employ effective positioning and immobilisation to achieve images of high quality.
- Operate mammography equipment safely and effectively within protocol.
- Maintain required and accurate records of the procedure complying with quality, confidentiality and data protection requirements.
- Use information management systems effectively.
- Comply with, and practise safely within, relevant legal, ethical, professional, and local frameworks and protocols for the delivery of clinical mammography.
- Maintain the radiation safety of all individuals in the working environment in line with current legislation.
- Work in accordance with ionising radiation regulations.
- Take appropriate action in response to concerns, risks, incidents or near misses arising in the workplace.
- Safeguard individuals in accordance with legal and organisational requirements.
- Use techniques for infection control.
- Provide basic life-support techniques, when required.
- Move and handle equipment or other items safely and assist individuals as appropriate.
- Manage self and own work effectively
- Recognise and respond appropriately to strengths and limitations in own knowledge, skills, and attributes.
- Refer to an appropriate member of the multi-disciplinary breast care team where required for concerns and queries outside scope of practice.
- Assess the technical quality of images produced against required standards for breast screening programmes.
- Adhere to quality standards of performance for breast screening programmes.
- Transfer and store images using appropriate systems.
- Apply effective interpersonal and communication skills to engage with individuals.
- Report and share information related to individuals securely in line with local and national policies, maintaining confidentiality.
- Ensure own actions promote equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Work individually, collaboratively and in partnership to deliver person-centred care.
- Advise individuals of the results process and give any necessary additional information within the scope of your responsibility.
- Participate in quality control tests of mammography equipment and accurately record results.
- Report any failed equipment tests to a senior member of staff.
- Participate in image assessment and peer review to adhere to breast screening programme standards.
- Engage in effective health promotion by actively seeking out and acting on opportunities to support individuals to maximise their health and well-being within the scope of the role.
- Promote preventative health behaviours and support individuals to make informed choices to improve their health and wellbeing within the scope of the role.
- Work effectively within the multi-disciplinary breast care team.
- Promote a positive, safe, and effective working environment.
- Make use of supervision and pastoral care.
- Make use of reflective practice to engage in continuing professional development.
- Participate in training and development activities and evaluate the impact of learning on own practice.
- Seek out and respond to feedback and engage in appraisals.
- Identify opportunities to improve the quality of the mammography service provided and contribute to local, regional, and national quality improvement initiatives.
- Participate in and support others with quality improvement activities in the workplace.
- Act as a role model for others within the scope of own role.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.