Express delivery operative (level 2)
Using world class equipment and software to provide timed deliveries and collections to homes and businesses.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Transport and logistics
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- express delivery drivers
- postal workers
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Deliver goods to customer premises; load and unload goods in a safe way that ensures the safety and condition of the goods and correctly relates to the delivery schedule
- Plan and track progress against a schedule, using equipment where required e.g. scheduling software, satellite navigation
- Interpret delivery/ collection schedules; follow route instructions and company policies and instructions related to collections, deliveries, failed deliveries and returns
- Consistently meet customer expectations, respond to customer’s needs and identify ways to improve customer service
- Verify delivery or collection of goods. Use manual and ICT systems to confirm delivery and collection and to authorise or make payments for goods where required
- Comply with the law and with contracts to provide express delivery, postal and courier services
- Work safely in accordance with employment law and traffic law. Where required, operate vehicles to DVSA standards to ensure safety of others and a green environmental impact, minimising fuel use, noise and congestion.
- Operate equipment provided to move, collect and deliver goods and when required use any systems and ancillary equipment in compliance with company instructions
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements relating to express
- Delivery services and where required, with a contract from a client company
- Uses diet, exercise and fitness techniques appropriate to job role
- Where required to carry out basic installation of goods, use correct manual handling techniques and use correct tools and equipment in compliance with manufacturers installation instructions
- Work in a way that minimises business costs while meeting customer requirements
- Comply with rules and regulations relating to the movement and handling of items, handling goods correctly using lifting and other equipment where appropriate
- Apply safeguarding policy whenever deliveries involve young persons or vulnerable adults
- Maintain the health, safety and security of self, colleagues and customers during deliveries
- Carry out appropriate daily equipment or vehicle checks and rectify or report faults
- Apply dynamic risk assessment principles to plan and respond to changing circumstances e.g. footpath closures, road diversions, incidents and accidents
Full information on Express delivery operative (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location