Personal trainer (level 3)
Coaching clients (on a one to one and small group basis) towards their health and fitness goals.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 15 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Health and science
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Ability to apply appropriate methods and techniques to facilitate clients’ desired physiological goals.
- Assess clients’ readiness to change behaviour and apply effective change strategies, communication techniques and motivation to facilitate healthy behaviours that move them towards their goals and promote programme adherence.
- Implement a range of theories relating to client motivation and behaviour change.
- Identify commonly occurring conditions and provide information, advice and support to clients where required.
- Promote wellness advice and demonstrate an understanding of how modern lifestyles impact upon the health and wellbeing of the client, providing signposting to appropriate professionals where relevant.
- Design, tailor and coach an effective exercise programme, using appropriate equipment. Continuously monitor and review the effectiveness of the exercise programme to ensure it is engaging, varied and progressive to clients’ needs and goals, whilst following the principles of training and exercise science.
- Develop and deliver exercise sessions in environments other than the gym to individuals and small groups. Review and evaluate the effectiveness of these exercise programmes and amend accordingly.
- Correctly demonstrate a wide range of exercise techniques, carry out reviews and advise clients on their performance and apply suitable adaptations for those at different levels of fitness.
- Analyse clients’ performance and apply suitable adaptations, regressions, progressions and corrective strategies to ensure continued success.
- Analyse client’s dietary habits and identify areas for improvement.
- Apply nutritional principles when developing exercise and lifestyle programmes for clients.
- Ensure the use of appropriate IT systems to support and manage all aspects of a personal training business such as record keeping, sales and invoicing, client and group management, class scheduling, retention levels and session reminders.
- Manage the effectiveness of a client’s exercise programme through the use of appropriate available systems.
- Use appropriate products to support and manage clients effectively. Present, analyse and interpret data and information in line with professional practice.
- Provide a high standard, client focused service through excellence in the fitness environment and application of best practice such as injury prevention and risk management.
- Demonstrate tact and discretion when handing client data, adhering to relevant legislation
- Ability to effectively communicate with clients using a range of techniques.
- Be able to interpret and evaluate communication and adapt own communication styles in order to encourage and motivate clients to achieve their goals.
- Ability to implement and adapt strategies to successfully gain and retain clients, ensuring the development and sustainability of the client base.
- Plan and regularly review business performance in order to meet business goals and targets whilst identifying areas for improvement.
- Implement a variety of effective marketing strategies to engage prospective clients.
- Ability to promote and sell products and personal training services.
Full information on Personal trainer (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location