Software developer (level 4)
Building and testing simple, high-quality code for software.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Application developer
- Mobile application developer
- Software developer
- Web developer
Skills an apprentice will learn
- create logical and maintainable code
- develop effective user interfaces
- link code to data sets
- test code and analyse results to correct errors found using unit testing
- conduct a range of test types, such as Integration, System, User Acceptance, Non-Functional, Performance and Security testing.
- identify and create test scenarios
- apply structured techniques to problem solving, debug code and understand the structure of programmes in order to identify and resolve issues
- create simple software designs to effectively communicate understanding of the program
- create analysis artefacts, such as use cases and/or user stories
- build, manage and deploy code into the relevant environment
- apply an appropriate software development approach according to the relevant paradigm (for example object oriented, event driven or procedural)
- follow software designs and functional or technical specifications
- follow testing frameworks and methodologies
- follow company, team or client approaches to continuous integration, version and source control
- communicate software solutions and ideas to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- apply algorithms, logic and data structures
- interpret and implement a given design whist remaining compliant with security and maintainability requirements
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.