Architectural assistant (integrated degree) (level 6)
Working with Architects and other professionals such as Engineers, to design buildings and deliver architectural projects.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to degree.
- Typical duration
- 48 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Generate architectural design proposals of diverse scales and type, including conducting feasibility studies
- Draft and edit drawings and 3D models (plans, sections, elevations, and details) using relevant software, including CAD, to enable co-ordination with other professional’s input
- Produce and coordinate design information with the design team (e.g. engineering, landscaping and interior design)
- Critically analyse architectural culture, theory and design to present a personal viewpoint within a structured argument
- Creatively apply theories, practices and technologies of the arts that influence architectural design
- Produce necessary drawings and documents that comply with national and local planning policy
- Identify user needs and the local context in which the project is developed
- Develop the design of projects of varying scales in respect of environmental context and sustainability
- Deliver services under the supervision of an Architect or a project leader, prioritising the interests of the client and other stakeholders
- Problem solve and use professional judgement to take initiative and make appropriate contributions to decision making
- Research and investigate relevant information (e.g. site analysis, previous architectural projects) to support project development to ensure all client and regulatory requirements are met
- Investigate, critically appraise and select alternative structural, constructional and material systems relevant to architectural design
- Integrate structural, construction and engineering strategies with the overall design
- Support an Architect or a project leader with construction inspections to ensure projects are built in accordance with contractual drawings
- Evaluate materials, processes and techniques that apply to architectural designs and building construction, and where practicable integrate alternative materials, processes and techniques into design proposals
- Apply different technological methods to building design to provide conditions of comfort and protection against the environment
- Meet client’s brief within the constraints of the imposed budget limitations
- Meet client’s brief within the constraints of the building regulations
- Interact with statutory authorities or individuals to support delivery of projects in a wide variety of sectors and within diverse legislative frameworks
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.