Footwear manufacturer (level 2)
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Safely selecting, using, maintaining and storing equipment, materials and associated components (parts of the footwear product).
- Minimising hazards and risks in the workplace through safe working practices.
- Follow and maintain work procedures to ensure safety requirements are met.
- Cutting materials, primarily leather, around patterns supplied by the employer. This process can be by hand or machine / laser (clicking).
- Skiving (thinning the material to allow a flat seam), then closing (hand stitching or machining of uppers, which is the top part of the footwear).
- Formation of the footwear (lasting) by stretching the upper over the last, which is a plastic or wooden foot mould.
- Attaching the sole, which might be cemented (glued), or stitched to the upper.
- Attaching the heel and welt (the strip between sole and upper) where used.
- Finish the shoe, e.g. polishing techniques, insertion of insole, lacing and final touches.
- Inspect for quality to company specification.
- Pack to company specification.
- Perform routine maintenance to ensure the efficiency of machinery, tools and equipment (i.e. settings and preparation of tools) to meet production expectations.
- Identify the correct materials and components and use appropriately.
- Prepare and quality check (for faults) materials and components.
- Report faults in materials and components to the supervisor or manager.
- Read and interpret data from specifications and appropriate work instructions.
- Follow instructions in order to meet customer and company requirements.
- Implement efficient and effective use of materials by closely following instructions and minimising waste.
- Undertake processes to consistent speed and quality requirements as outlined by the company.
Full information on Footwear manufacturer (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location