Bricklayer (level 2)
Laying bricks, blocks and other types of building components in mortar to construct and repair walls, foundations, partitions, arches and other structures.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 30 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Construction and the built environment
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Preparation of materials: Determine quality and quantities of building material including mix ratios of mortar and concrete. Areas and volumes of materials and resources.
- Safe working: Adhere to relevant health and safety legislation, codes of practice and apply safe working practices, including when working at heights. Safe use of ‘disc cutters’ and power cutters.
- Working area: Select appropriate tools, equipment and materials (eg trowel, levels, brick ties, DPC, insulation, mixers, lintels etc) for use when setting out and erecting masonry walling . Maintain a clean working environment.
- Masonry structures: Interpret drawings and specifications. Measure the work area and set out level first courses of bricks to a plan, including bonds for openings and the damp course. Mix mortar by hand or with a mechanical mixer. Lay bricks to set dimensions and apply mortar with a trowel to completion. Shape and trim bricks/blocks using hammers, chisels and power tools. Use of laser levels, spirit levels, optical levels and string lines to check that courses are straight, horizontally and vertically, and laid to a gauge. Ensure thermal qualities, airtightness and ventilation are maintained. Remove waste materials. Repair and renew masonry structures.
- Radial and battered brickwork: Set out and build brickwork, including simple arches and surrounding brickwork.
- Feature and reinforced brickwork: Set out and build brickwork, including common decorative features such as oversailing courses and simple corbels.
- Other brickwork: Block laying. Cavity walling to include openings, brick inspection chambers, joint finishes, set out a square, set out to a gauge rod and/or profiles.
- Building technology: Select materials and resources to be able to set out and lay concrete, drainage and other substructure materials.
Full information on Bricklayer (level 2) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location