Autocare technician (level 2)
Carrying out a range of services and repairs to cars, car derived vans and light goods vehicles.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to GCSE.
- Typical duration
- 30 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- S1: Contribute to maintaining a healthy and safe workplace, including the maintenance of key equipment and carrying out general housekeeping
- S2: Carry out stock procedures including dealing with routine stock deliveries, placing stock into storage, carrying out stock rotation duties and ordering parts for customers following company procedures
- S3: Carry out vehicle safety inspections and routine maintenance in line with manufactures specifications or approved schedules, company procedures and complete approved documentation.
- S4: Make recommendations to customers based on the results of inspections, ensuring that sales recommendations are accurate and fully costed, are ethical and in the best interests of the customer at all times, using language that is transparent and avoids jargon.
- S5: Carry out replacement/repair and balancing of a range of light vehicle tyres, including ultra-low profile, directional, asymmetric and run-flat tyres fitted to a range of wheel sizes and types
- S6: Carry out the replacement of components on a specific range of vehicle systems including Steering & Suspension, Braking systems, Battery & Charging systems, exhaust systems and Air-Conditioning systems
- S7: Carry out 4-wheel Geometry operations including adjustments on a range of vehicles with different suspension and steering systems
- S8: Use a range of specialist tools & equipment, mechanical & electrical measuring tools and diagnostic equipment to support fault identification and repair.
- S9: Identify & procure correct parts to meet specific customer requirements
- S10: Access vehicle technical data to inform inspections and make judgements on wear and serviceability.
- S11: Deal with and resolve low-level customer complaints
- S12: Communicate effectively with customers, suppliers and colleagues
- S13: Use specific company IT systems within the workplace, including Point-of-sale systems and hand-held devices.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.