Port marine operations officer (level 4)
Assists in ensuring the safe transit and handling of vessels into and out of the port.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to higher national certificate (HNC).
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Transport and logistics
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
Skills an apprentice will learn
- safely steer, manoeuvre, navigate and crew different types of marine craft, such as: pilot boats, work boats, survey boats, etc
- conduct marine craft operations including basic towage, personnel transfer and recovery, hydrographic surveying, etc. in line with port specific guidelines
- respond to fire and emergencies including on board vessels and use emergency equipment including oil spill response
- administer basic first aid at work
- lead, manage and engage with colleagues and others including, emergency services and other stakeholders in all marine activities within a port; take control of a situation, deliver reliable and dependable results in work outputs, quality, work ethics and self-development, as well as encouraging and supporting the development of others
- safely moor and unmoor vessels of a range of type and size
- safely handle loads manually and mechanically, including mooring lines, cargo, stores,etc
- demonstrate personal water safety around the harbour and sea survival skills
- communicate clearly and use communications equipment including VHF radio
- operate within health, safety and security systems and practice these in line with regulation, codes of practice and company policies and procedures
- operate navigational systems and equipment such as: compasses, Global Navigation Satellite Systems, radar, Automatic Information Systems, etc.
- carry out port marine operations specific to the setting such as leisure, fishing, cargoes, passenger etc
- contribute to the protection of the marine environment including protection of sites of special scientific interest and marine conservation zones
Full information on Port marine operations officer (level 4) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.