Emergency contact handler (level 3)
Deal with emergency and non-emergency calls
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 12 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Protective services
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Contact management centre operators
- Contact resolution officer
- Emergency contact handler
- Emergency controllers
- Fire control contact handler
- Health advisors
- Regional operations centre operator
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Use appropriate sector specific phraseology.
- Operate communication systems.
- Operate software systems.
- Communicate in a calm manner considering the caller’s circumstances.
- Build and establish appropriate rapport.
- Use clear language to convey instructions, avoiding jargon and sector specific terminology.
- Overcome barriers to effective communication.
- Use appropriate questioning techniques to gather relevant information to the incident.
- Use appropriate listening techniques to gather relevant information to the incident.
- Record relevant information appropriate to the incident accurately, clearly and concisely and review information already held on the incident where applicable.
- Manage the expectations of the public, colleagues, internal and external partner organisations.
- Provide advice or information appropriate to the incident, giving safety advice when necessary and adapting response when required.
- Identify and assess risk, take action and record appropriately.
- Update internal and external colleagues when applicable.
- Decide and apply grading or prioritisation guidelines appropriate to the incident.
- Analyse information and apply relevant policy, procedures or regulations appropriate to the incident.
- Advise on the appropriate course of action, signposting to other organisations when required.
- Undertake tasks simultaneously, seeking assistance when necessary.
- Complete any resulting actions accurately and efficiently at the end of the contact
Full information on Emergency contact handler (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location