Operational firefighter (level 3)
Tackling a wide range of emergency situations such as tackling fires, searching, rescuing and protecting people and animals.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Protective services
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Civil Aviation or within small private sector fire services that may be incorporated in other organisations such as manufacturers and engineering
- Firefighters could be employed in any of the fire services across England
- the Armed Forces
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Carry out safe working practices in accordance with legal requirements as detailed within the knowledge section.
- Operate safely and effectively in emergency situations.
- Operate within an appropriate command and control system.
- Operate in hazardous environments using Breathing Apparatus.
- Safely resolve incidents involving hazardous materials, such as chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive substances. These will be resolved by stopping further harm and then removal of/clearing up the substance.
- Safely work at height.
- Safely work in, on or around water e.g. to conduct rescues or extract water for firefighting purposes.
- Extricate casualties from situations of entrapment.
- Interact with and influence community members and business to reduce risks.
- Take responsibility for effective performance within their role.
- Support the development of their colleagues in their workplace
- Use and maintain specialist equipment
- Control and extinguish fires safely and effectively
- Communicate effectively, through listening, writing, speaking and presenting information
Full information on Operational firefighter (level 3) is available from the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
Find training providers for this course
Canterbury, Kent Remove location