Operational firefighter (level 3)
Tackling a wide range of emergency situations such as tackling fires, searching, rescuing and protecting people and animals.
- Qualification level
Equivalent to A level.
- Typical duration
- 24 months
- Apprenticeship category
- Protective services
- Maximum funding
Maximum amount government will fund
for apprenticeship training.
- Also known as
- Civil Aviation or within small private sector fire services that may be incorporated in other organisations such as manufacturers and engineering
- Firefighters could be employed in any of the fire services across England
- the Armed Forces
Skills an apprentice will learn
- Carry out safe working practices in accordance with legal requirements as detailed within the knowledge section.
- Operate safely and effectively in emergency situations.
- Operate within an appropriate command and control system.
- Operate in hazardous environments using Breathing Apparatus.
- Safely resolve incidents involving hazardous materials, such as chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive substances. These will be resolved by stopping further harm and then removal of/clearing up the substance.
- Safely work at height.
- Safely work in, on or around water e.g. to conduct rescues or extract water for firefighting purposes.
- Extricate casualties from situations of entrapment.
- Interact with and influence community members and business to reduce risks.
- Take responsibility for effective performance within their role.
- Support the development of their colleagues in their workplace
- Use and maintain specialist equipment
- Control and extinguish fires safely and effectively
- Communicate effectively, through listening, writing, speaking and presenting information
Find training providers for this course
Check if a provider can offer this training for the apprenticeship location.